Virtual School Counseling


While we are all quarantined and unable to reach our students face to face, it has been an interesting challenge trying to stay connected.  I am learning so much, and so thankful for the things I had in place even before we were quarantined.  Here are a few ways I am staying connected with students. 

      1. Google classroom:  I have been using google classroom with my grades 3-5 students for a few years.  Thankfully, it was loaded with lessons for them to review while I was adding new ones.  I only wish I had started this with K-2.  I am fearful about adding more to their little plates, so I will definitely be doing that once we return.
  1. Google Hangouts:  Google hangouts has been nice to be able to stay connected one on one with students.  I am able to text but in a secure place where they won't see my number.  
  2. Google Hangout Meet:  I did this today and was so excited to see my students!  I added the join link to their classroom, and it was a hit!  Honestly, the kids just loved seeing eachother as well.  It was nice to just chat, and "hangout."  I imagine that eventually I will do some lesson this way, but for now, they just needed to connect.  
  3. Facebook:  As my K-2 students don't have google classroom, I am finding it much more difficult to connect with them.  I decided to link a check in form on our McNeill PTA facebook page.  Most of the littles' parents are all about this site, so this has been an effective way to stay in touch with them.  
  4. Phone calls:  In order to provide a more equitable opportunity for SEL assistance, I compiled a list of the students that indicated they didn't have online service, and have been making phone calls to these friends.  
  5. Flip Grid:  I began using Flip Grid today.  I am hoping to get students to be more interactive and provide challenges each day for them to record.  Click here for an SEL Choice board that I created. 

I cannot wait to share the other things I decide to try through this process.  The great news is that I have more time to blog!  Stay Tuned!

Comments