If you're like me, you wear a lot of hats. We Counselors don't get the luxury of having a day that's already planned out for us. We may THINK we have an idea but it always changes. In an effort to manage the chaos that I love about being a school counselor, I have come up with something that works pretty well for me. I take an ordinary lesson plan book, and divide it into sections. These sections represent a "hat" I wear. While there are others, I have found I am able to subcategorize them into one of the sections. The sections include: lesson plans, meetings, counseling, testing, and to do. What I have found is that I can separate hats into days and not feel so overwhelmed because I haven't tackled that hat that day because. It allows me a way to plan ahead for what's coming each day, while feeling like I have some control as well. The to do section is my life saver. It helps me keep everything I have to do in the same place, especially if I find it's not fitting nicely with an already established category. Here's and expample of what my plan book looks like.
I like using this video to discuss issues with social isolation, and since it's Dr. Seuss' Birthday, I felt it only appropriate. Guiding Questions: What are the guiding questions for this lesson? Have you ever been "left out"? How did it feel? Why do people sometimes exclude others? How did the Sneetches change from the beginning of the story to the end? Why did the author probably write this text? Is there a lesson we can learn from it? What is the difference between Sneetches with stars and those without? **adapted from CPalms

Comments
Post a Comment